Leah was more sedated this morning, her oxygen requirements were broadly similar to what they have been, kidney function slightly less good & chest X-Ray no change so today’s nice doctor ( one of my favourite) has decided to go ahead with a bronchoscopy and lavage under general anaesthetic.
They hope that this will enable a more definite diagnosis of Leah’s condition to be made & then they hope to be able to take her off all unnecessary medication and possibly increase the quantities of some medication that might help her.
Results from today’s tests will take 1 or 2 days and they don’t expect to make any major changes to her treatment until towards the end of the week. This procedure is very risky in someone so ill and she may or may not regain consciousness again.
I explained to Leah what was going to happen and then I read to her from Day 5 of Rainbows for Rainy Days by Catherine Campbell. I had some difficulty controlling my emotions & Leah reached out & gave me a big hug.
Just before they put me out of the room so as to set up for the procedure I put on the song “Our God is a great big God” & Leah proceeded to smile & do all the actions while lying there with her eyes closed.
“Our God is a great big God
Our God is a great big God
Our God is a great big God and He holds us in His hands………………………………..
He’s known me and He’s loved me
Since before the world began
How wonderful to be a part of God’s amazing plan.”
Leah slept well last night & is very settled.
However she has needed her oxygen turned up slightly this morning & vomiting continues to be a problem despite anti-sickness meds.
Leah is very tired & sleepy today.
Today’s chest X-ray shows no change from yesterday – doc says that she’s on all the right treatment & we just have to wait for it to take effect.
They have found a really comfy reclining chair for me to lie on at night in Leah’s room & I sleep fairly well amidst the noise & lights & activity.
Tonight was to be Leah’s first time attending a big family get together since her bone marrow transplant – she’s day 179 post transplant.
The Dr told us a few weeks ago that her lymphocytes were on the rise & were out of the “danger zone”.
Leah was a bit short of breath when climbing the stairs yesterday but her temperature was normal & she was otherwise well so we decided to wait and mention it at today’s scheduled appointment.
A chest X-ray and subsequent CT scan today revealed a serious chest infection so Leah is now an inpatient in the Cancer Centre at Belfast City Hospital.
The results of her viral screen will be back tomorrow and that will provide a definite diagnosis but the doctor thinks that this is an opportunistic infection i.e. an infection caused by a bacteria or a virus that is not harmful to a healthy person but harms a person whose body’s natural defense against infection is damaged.
If this is the case then Leah hasn’t ‘caught’ this bug from anyone – it is yet another post transplant complication but anyway we should know more tomorrow.